-
August 2nd, 2000, 10:30 AM
#1
Inactive Member
Having just left school three weeks ago I've now had enough of watching an unhealthy amount of awful day time chat shows on TV and wish to begin a career in film. I've always felt that I'd like to do something creative, and I have an abundance of ideas for the actual storie, but at the minute I'm not entirely sure on the more technical aspects of it. I've had people tell me to just "make films", but with only a bog standard Sony 8mm camera this is easier said then done. So what sort of equipment would I need to make something vaguely professional (I'd really like to know how to edit stuff relatively well and also how to create a soundtrack)?
Finally, are there any formal courses or qualifacations that are actually worth gaining?
-
August 2nd, 2000, 10:55 AM
#2
Inactive Member
Have you thought about enrolling on a media-studies / film course at college?
There should be plenty of them around (Courses, that is).
You're in Norfolk, is there any local televistion stations you could volunteer for? That's what I did, and I ended up there for 14 months!
Failing that, search the internet, or get some books.
Hope this helps.
------------------
KEEP FOCUSED!
Little Rich.
http://go.to/littlerich
www.rmsgraffix.freeserve.co.uk
[email protected]
-
August 2nd, 2000, 01:05 PM
#3
eddie
Guest
A sony 8mm camera sounds fine.
Get any job, use the money to buy props and equipment. Write to a local TV studio, radio station or University, or ring them up and ask to loan some equipment. Make lots of jokes and be a fun person to be around and they wont say no.
Use the Sony, if its all you've got, it'll have to do until you get something better.
-
August 2nd, 2000, 01:28 PM
#4
Inactive Member
It's just occured to me that although you don't have camera/editing EQUIPMENT, you could spend your time WRITING films, getting storyboards done.
This way, you maybe able to get in touch with someone who HAS the equipment, but DOESN'T have a story...
It's all about metting people who want what you've got, and have what you want!
GOOD LUCK!
------------------
KEEP FOCUSED!
Little Rich.
http://go.to/littlerich
www.rmsgraffix.freeserve.co.uk
[email protected]
-
August 2nd, 2000, 04:49 PM
#5
Mark Jury
Guest
Unless your dad is some big actor or producer, Film school won't do anything for you except get to meet people with the same aspirations.. Unless you want to teach film, of course.
No good asking people how to be a director because everyone has a different answer.
I think you need "self-belief" and "drive" to make it happen. Get a good showreel, enter competitions, get an agent, hell knows. It's all a matter of luck. If you want to be a camera operator or editor it's about making contacts and starting out making the tea.
-
August 2nd, 2000, 06:39 PM
#6
Inactive Member
Actualy amigos any A-level or media course will help emensly. Even if you don't get to use actual equipment, you'll at least learn how put down thoughts on paper and if you write a story just apply it on film. Don't limit your selves Robert Rodriguez did the exact oppisite they teach in film-school just be original and you'll do fine. stop thinking you need to go to a big shot school all you have to do is go out and do it. no if, ands or buts about it.
-
August 2nd, 2000, 11:00 PM
#7
Inactive Member
If its paperwork you want then a college course is for u.
I am currently heading towards ahigher national diploma in television operations and its great ....you get hands on experience and get to film nearly everday. Make sure you dont go for a media studies course as i hear its all theory and no experience.
marti-cc
-
August 3rd, 2000, 03:42 AM
#8
Inactive Member
All you need is:
1. 16mm filmcamera
2. film
3. mic (for better sound recording)
4. light bulbs
5. video tape mixers (actuly very cheap)
6. enroll in college courses
-
August 3rd, 2000, 03:51 AM
#9
Inactive Member
This all seems fairly reasonable, but what courses are actually worth doing? Around here the only options are Film Studies A Level or Media Studies. Do either of these actually help you begin your career or are they, as I was under the impression, just "fill-ins" for people taking more conventional A-Levels?
-
August 11th, 2000, 07:15 AM
#10
Inactive Member
Over the past two years, I wrote, shot, edited a DV feature, and recently completed a "How-To" (VHS) which covers Mini-DV Camcorders and NLE Editing. Take a look at www.dvmoviemaking.com when you get a minute. Also have some articles running on Cyber Film School on "the making of". You can access them from this URL -- http://206.186.223.112/articles/saylor_01.htm -- Good luck with it. S.S.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks